While doing research for my next book, I discovered a picture of this venomous snake. Its fangs grow to 13mm in length. That’s half an inch long. Their length can be as much as 95 cm. (over 3 1/2 inches). While females are usually smaller, if I saw one, I wouldn’t bother checking one’s sex. Like a rhinoceros, it has a single ‘horn’ protruding from the snout. The snake may be dark brown or grey to black and has a zigzag pattern.
The venom produced by this snake is very toxic based on experiments using mice, but does vary between species and areas and is neurotoxic. Pain, swelling, and redness will occur within moments of being bitten around the bite area. Dizziness and possible blackouts may occur with a tingling sensation around the body.
It’s venom can attack the nervous system. A bite may cause nausea, muscle spasms, as well as possible death through cardiac arrest. However, most people recover after being treated with antivenom. Now I have to decide if I’m going to let my heroine and hero come upon one when they are lost in the Northern Alps.
Never run from a snake, always walk calmly away.