Joel Marion from Biotrust Nutrition stores these seven foods somewhere else, and here’s why.
1. A banana stops ripening in the refrigerator and may not continue to ripen, so if it’s green and very firm, it may stay that way until it spoils.
2. The starch in a sweet potato will turn to sugar, changing the taste and encouraging weight gain.
3. Tomatoes tend to lose flavor in the refrigerator.
4. Apples lose flavor and texture when refrigerated. However, they do keep longer if refrigerated.
5. Onions can get soggy after a while in the refrigerator and make other foods smell like onions.
6. Avocadoes ripening process is interrupted if put in the refrigerator, so if you want them soft and easy to mash for guacamole, keep them elsewhere.
7. Coffee does not keep better in the refrigerator and may absorb other smells.
So after all that advice, what do you do?