I met Pamela at a Donald Maass workshop and wondered about her slogan, Inspirational with an Edge. Here are her answers to my interview questions and a copy of her book cover. Read on, and you’ll even get an excerpt from Tempered Dreams.
- When did you start writing? I started writing in 5-subject notebooks while pregnant with my youngest child who is now 36 after reading one-too-many insipid, milquetoast-esque romance books. Still not sure if my reactions were hormone driven LOL! but that was the catalyst to my writing career.
2. What genre do you write? Or how do you define Steamy, Gritty, and Sensual, Inspirational with an Edge? When I first began writing I wrote steamy, traditional romance. Then I recommitted my life to Christ and committed my writing to Him. I had written everything in 5-subject notebooks so when I started typing my stories, I allowed the characters faith, or lack thereof, to shine through. Back then, I had no idea there were 2 separate markets. The ABA (American Booksellers Assocation) is traditional romance, women’s fiction, general fiction, etc and the CBA (Christian Booksellers Association). Nor did I know there were very strict guidelines of what could, or could not be included in a “Christian” novel. Suffice it to say I was shocked once I started submitting LOL! After I received several rejections with the guidelines included, I tried really hard (and unsuccessfully) to revise my stories to fit. In 2000 I found a new, small publisher who liked them just the way the were, and viola! My publishing journey began. My books are steamy, gritty and sensual but do stay within biblical guidelines when it comes to –mainly- the premarital sex issue…hence my tagline, “Inspirational with an Edge!” ™
3. Since some Inspirational lines deal a lot with religion, what place does religion play in your stories? Religion does not play a part in my stories. Faith and a personal relationship with God/Christ do. Some characters in some of the stores do go to church, but that is only an outward expression of their inward beliefs.
4. How many books have you written?I have 7 full length novels, 2 novellas, 1 devotional and a collection of 8 short stories. I’ve also contributed to several anthologies.
5. What were some of the most interesting facts you uncovered while researching your books? When writing The Visionary, I researched my family history and uncovered that my 3x great grandmother once fought an Army Captain over a horse and won! All of the research my heroine does in the story, I actually did mysel.
6. Have you taken a trip to anywhere that features in your books? If so, tell me about it. Yes! My Tempered series are set in Bandera, TX which I call my home away from home. I visited there as a child with my grandparents and returned in 2010 to live and work at a guest/dude ranch off and on for 4 years. I still visit a couple times each year and dream of owning a log cabin there. My step children live in the Seattle, WA area and I’ve visited Hammondsport, NY so the descriptions in The Inheritance are accurate. I live in SW Louisiana and The Visionary is set on a piece of property that once belonged in my family so the culture portrayed in the novel is authentic as it is part of who I am.
7. What is one interesting thing about you that few people know? I don’t like tomatoes and have a visceral reaction to raw onions if I mistakenly eat them.
- Tell me about your family. How old are your children?My children (two by blood and two by marriage) are 41, 40, 38 and 36. My grandchildren are 15, 13 and 10.
Author bio: Award-winning author, Pamela S. Thibodeaux is the Co-Founder and a lifetime member of Bayou Writers Group in Lake Charles, Louisiana. Multi-published in romantic fiction as well as creative non-fiction, her writing has been tagged as, “Inspirational with an Edge!” ™ and reviewed as “steamier and grittier than the typical Christian novel without decreasing the message.” Sign up to receive Pam’s newsletter and get a FREE short story! (this link works. I tried it.)
Featured Book: Tempered Dreams
Dr. Scott Hensley (introduced in Tempered Hearts) has built a wall around his heart since the death of his wife and parents. Katrina Simmons is recovering from scars inflicted on her as a battered wife. Can dreams be renewed and faith strengthened? Can they find joy and peace in God’s love and in love for one another?
Excerpt:“Spend the day with me,” he urged. “We’ll go to my place. I’ll take a short nap after which we’ll do whatever your little heart desires.”
“Anything?” she teased.
Her voice was as enticing as silk and just as alluring. Her excitement set fire to his blood. “Anything.” he assured in a thick voice.
His smoldering gaze, as tender as a caress and just as potent, lowered to her lips, lingered, then raked over her in a hungry gesture before returning to capture hers in a heated embrace. Trina felt as though he was touching her in the most intimate of ways. Her cheeks grew hot, her breath lodged in her throat. Desire washed over her in angry waves. She swallowed hard and tucked trembling hands in her lap, desperately trying to form a coherent sentence. “Please, Scott, don’t look at me like that.”
He could actually feel her trembling response across the table. His voice lowered another notch. “Like what?”
Trina shook her head. “Like you’re starving to death and could eat me up. Didn’t you have enough food?”
Pushing his plate away, Scott stood and held his hand out to her. Trina placed a trembling one in his firm grip. Pulling her gently to her feet, Scott raised it to his mouth, brushing his lips across her knuckles. “Food is not what I’m hungry for,” he informed her in a husky whisper.
Trina waited as he paid for their meal then followed him to the parking lot as gracefully as possible on legs that wobbled. He paused and in a silent gesture, signaled for her to give him her car keys. His fingers brushed sensuously over her wrist and palm, grasping hers gently when she placed them in his hand.
Locking his heated gaze with hers, Scott raised their clasped hands to his lips, this time lingering over the kiss. He nibbled on her knuckles, teasing the back of her hand with his mouth, then, in one swift movement, turned his attention to the sensitive flesh of her palm and wrist, relieving her of her keys and her senses.
Trina felt the caress to the very core of her being. She moaned, leaning against his hard frame when he pulled her closer. His heat enveloped her until she burned with him, for him. And his lips had never even touched hers.
B&N Print: http://bit.ly/1PYECpI
I will give away an audio copy of Tempered Dreams!
She also has a Christmas Scavenger Hunt on now. Check it out on her website: